By Mike Thee
Seattle University's buildings are carbon neutral. Just pause a moment and let that sink in.
Yes, that's right-through new infrastructure enhancements and offsets, our campus buildings have completely shed their carbon footprints, further cementing the university's status as a leader in sustainability.
David Brugman, assistant director of utilities and sustainability, is playing an instrumental role in making SU's campus more energy-efficient. It is unknown how many colleges and universities in the country can claim their buildings are carbon neutral, but Brugman believes the list is pretty short.
SU's buildings have achieved carbon neutrality largely through two recent developments. First, a new, highly efficient heating loop serving five facilities has reduced our buildings' carbon output by 18 percent. Second, the university is offsetting the remaining 82 percent primarily by investing in a project that's turning cow manure into power. READ MORE >>